Saturday, June 18, 2011

Things that have changed

We knew that things were going to change in our lives as we made this huge leap on faith, but we weren't sure how, or how much. This post is more of a list of new things that we are dealing with, both professionally and personally.

1. For 13+ years I worked in Seattle for a great company, but it required me to do a lot of my prep work at night including shaving, ironing and setting out all my clothes for the morning. I got up around five, showered, dressed in the dark and was out of the house by 5:35.

Now I get up around 6:15, make coffee, chat with the fam back home, eat breakfast, shave, shower and dress....and get to talk to Gail in the morning!

2. After bolting out of the house I used to drive to a park-and-ride, wait for the bus, ride to the ferry, wait for the ferry, then sit for over an hour on a very boring, smelly old ferry. The good part of this is I could walk from the smelly ferry to work.

Now, I cross the street and flag a cab, which takes about 30 seconds and take a thrilling 12 minute cab ride to work! Ironically, it's also a 12 minute walk! I tried this once last week and had to take half my clothes off when I got to work due to sweat! I thought, "it's a short walk".

3. When I got to work in Seattle I would say good morning to my friends Patricia, Joe, Bob, Bill, Gary and Troy.

Now, I say good morning to Sury, Rajesh, Shabana, Sixto, Mohweed, Niar and Vijay. All great people and very hard working, friendly people.

4. Most days over the last few years I would throw on a clean pair of jeans, a pressed shirt and some ok shoes.

Now I wear slacks, shirt and tie everyday. Some things were better in the GNW. But I look good! Things are much more formal here.

5. No Salsa! Fridays. Only Patricia...and maybe Joe and Gorms will get this.

6. For lunch I used to have to decide from Sushi, Pizza, Sandwich and Burrito.

Now I look at Shawarma, Falafal, Saj, naan and kabobs. All great!

Other things we enjoy is call to prayer, the little shops that are everywhere! and the warmth.

Yesterday we went exploring and found a very cool block with lots of Lebanese restaurants. We decided to wander in one. It's funny, because there is a language barrier. But through a series of gestures and one word sentences we were directed up stairs. To our delight, the upstairs was a very nice, clean restaurant. We had been planning a nice small dinner, but we ended up with a full on meal. I had grilled lamb, beef and chicken.

Last night Gail shaved my head! Not to the skin, but it's short.

Today we did a little clothes shopping for work and picked up a soft side cooler for our next beach trip.

I also got on my bike today for a few minutes. I am missing out on a great ride with Craig and Casey today. I'm pretty bummed, but all things happen for a reason.

One of the things that I almost forgot....I used to get up to clouds, now the sun shines everyday! I saw a cloud yesterday, but it passed.

Y'all be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment